Thursday, May 19, 2011

The layers of thought...

So the more I look at the title of the blog, the more my mind finds layers of meaning.  I beg indulgence as I wax poetic (or rather, prosaic) on eggshells and coffee grounds.

1. People used to put eggshells in coffee before perking it.  Why?  Well lots of possible reasons...to settle the coffee grounds, to provide an alkaline to the acidic beans that reduced bitterness.  I have vague recollections of this practice in real life, but as a very small child who didn't drink coffee, it had relatively little impact on me.  As an adult, um, ewww.

2. Eggshells and coffee grounds are a good source of calcium and nitrogen (respectively and probably respectably too), making them great fodder for a composter.  Which makes fertilizer.  I'm not sure I like where this is going...oh wait, fertilizer makes things grow.  So that works.  I'm not just writing crap in this blog I'm using it as a method for personal growth.


At least that's what I hope happens.

3. Eggshells on their own always makes me think of the phrase "Walking on Eggshells" - which is not to be confused with the song "Walking on Sunshine".  Very different concepts those.  Anywho, as I think back on my life, I've done my share of walking on eggshells...and have spent a good deal of time consciously trying not to surround myself with relationships that end up with me having to do so.

The song Walking on Sunshine however, always reminds me of the scene in Look Who's Talking where John Travolta makes stuffed animals dance behind a sofa.

And apparently I'm done talking about the blog title.  

No comments:

Post a Comment